“Miss Ross’ New Pack”

“Miss Ross’ New Pack” have had an extremely busy but exciting start to the year!

At the beginning of term, the children created their own VCOP display which they use regularly to support their writing – the McDonald’s chips have been particularly well used to up-level vocabulary.

Writing this term has linked to our topic, The Jacobites.  The children have enjoyed writing letters to Clan Chief of MacDonald from the perspective of Bonnie Prince Charlie and newspaper articles on the Battle of Culloden (see examples below).

The Bonnie Prince Charlie Castle
Numero 1
Rue de Ecosse
Paris, France
2nd July 1745

Dear Clan Chief of MacDonald,

Thank you for your letter of kind words, Clan Chief of MacDonald.  I greatly appreciate that you and your men are supporting me.  Unfortunately, Prince William of Orange and his disgraceful behavior is unacceptable.  I know I am the rightful king thus, I accept your letter with full appreciation.  We will put the rightful king on the throne (me) and vanquish William.

This is a horrific reign.  William’s unwanted religion and appalling behavior is ruining lives and we must stop him as quick as we can!  Considering the options, knowing with all my heart, I believe France will help us with me leading you against William and his shocking followers.  English Protestants are backing William so we cannot let them take over the land!  My grandfather tried to help you in the first uprising in 1715 so it is essential that we claim the throne!  Even though my grandfather failed his noble work, I will take his place with courage and leadership.  Once again the crown will be within my family.

Although this outrageous business is happening now, we must act wisely.  We must work with France and if we work with them now, we will take back the crown!  I know and believe that William is not the rightful king so we will march to the south of England and stand up for what we believe is right.

I will leave France soon and arrive on the West Coast of Scotland by the end of July.  Gather all your courageous brother clans and your magnificent weapons and if you stay loyal to me, I will bring French troops and weapons.  Finally, I will gather supporters as we march south – I have many supporters in Scotland and England so we will be able to fight with more than 3,000 men!

We will win!  We will never retreat!  We won’t surrender!  FREEDOM!

Your Sincerely,

Bonnie Prince Charlie aka The Young Pretender (Aurea Ahmed)

THE FATAL FIGHT

The Battle of Culloden

By Ethan Okai

The Jacobite Troops who were led by Prince Charles Edward Stuart have accepted an unsurprising defeat to the Red Coat soldiers on the 16th of April 1746 whilst attempting to reclaim the British throne. This battle is known as the Battle of Culloden.

Red Coats were led by William the Duke of Cumberland as they won this fateful battle. Bonnie Prince Charlie and his supporters had marched to London in attempt to reclaim the throne that he believed was rightly his.

Clan Chiefs and Jacobite troops constantly quarrelled with each other so the Jacobites decided to retreat. The Duke of Cumberland somehow managed to find out the retreat route the Jacobites were using so he and his troops decided to follow them. The Red Coats attempted to attack in Falkirk but failed to conquer against the Jacobites. Both troops continued to Culloden and this is where the final battle took place. The night before the battle, Red Coat soldiers arrived in Nairn and celebrated the Duke’s 25th birthday with glasses full of brandy. The Jacobites thought of using an old trick to sneak up on the Red Coats – thinking that they would have a great advantage over sleepy, surprised and hungover government men. Having large amounts of Jacobite soldiers crossing dark, marshy moorland was full of problems and dawn was rising as they reached their enemies destination so they turned back as the element of surprise was lost in daylight. On the Jacobites arrival back at Culloden, the thoroughly exhausted Jacobites had no time to rest as the enemy approached.

During this battle, Jacobites were hungry and exhausted, having no energy left in them. When the battle began, Charlie only had 5,000 men    — the rest were sleeping or looking for food and Cumberland had 9,000 troops which meant the Jacobites were outnumbered.

Jacobite cannons began the battle however the government’s artillery was by far superior and the Red Coats were better trained and equipped. The Highland Charge was chaotic as the command was given too late and the Jacobites did not stay aligned due to uneven ground. The Red Coats attacked the right flank heavily but some Jacobites broke off to protect their right flank whilst most continued towards the enemy. Within an hour, Jacobites were defeated with thousands of soldiers brutally injured.

The British Government have decided to punish all soldiers and destroy clan traditions. Jacobite soldiers who have been captured are now all in prison. Highland chiefs have been stripped of their power. Kilts and tartans have also been banned. Prince Charlie has fled from the country – his whereabouts are unknown however The Duke of Cumberland is still keen to find him.

Within drama, the children filmed news reports on the Battle of Culloden – I think some pupils have a future in television!

Within art, the children used a blending technique to paint a sunset as a background for a Jacobite silhouette.   In addition, the children are beginning to create an “Over the Sea to Skye” display – this is a work in progress.

Thank you to all who visited our classroom last Thursday during the Open Afternoon, it was lovely to see the children sharing work they are proud of with family and friends.  I look forward to catching up with you all during Parent Interviews next week.

Miss Ross