We have an active and valued Parent Council whose role is to:
- support the school in its work with pupils
- represent the views of all parents
- encourage links between the school, parents, pupils, pre-
school groups and the wider community
- report back to all the parents in the school (called the Parent Forum)
- play a role in the appointment of head teachers and depute head teachers
- support the school and pupils during school inspections
How can Parent Councils help?
Parent Councils have a key role to play in raising standards – a key aim of Curriculum for Excellence. They can support improvement planning at school and can get involved in planning at local authority level too. They can raise issues nationally through their local rep on the National Parent Forum of Scotland. They make important links to families, the local neighbourhood and businesses that help bring life to learning. They offer a vital link to hear what young people think and want. They can invite parents in to share skills, time, expertise and knowledge. The Parent Council can link to local businesses that might offer young people the chance to develop business skills. They can help with fundraising, organise career fairs and be on hand at parent events to talk to other parents.